8 Effective Home Remedies for Nausea and Vomiting
Nausea is basically a condition of stomach discomfort and the sensation of puking. Or Nausea may be referred to as unwell feeling for any reason. Vomiting is more precise and may or may not be associated with nausea. We all know this condition is very uncomfortable and we all want to avoid it in any way possible. Mostly, Nausea and Vomiting may occur due to viral gastroenteritis (mistakenly called stomach flu), pregnancy, emotional stress, gallbladder disease and sensitivity to motion, which is the most common one. Many people face this issue while they are on Merry Go Round, Roller Coaster or any other type of swing and even while traveling through a curvy road.
There are also many other reasons that cause nausea including certain food items, medications, and some other medical conditions. Overeating fatty food can cause Nausea and it can also be caused if you are allergic to some certain food items. It can also be caused by some viruses and bacteria that upsets the stomach. Various medical conditions related to the stomach can also cause Nausea.
Usually, Nausea is automatically resolved within hours but if you are having it frequently it can be a symptom of ear infection, heart attack, intestinal blockage, liver failure or liver cancer, meningitis, and even migraine headaches. In this scenario, you must consult your doctor immediately. If nausea is making you unable to eat anything from 12 hours or more, then also you must consult your doctor before it get worse. Other than that there is CVS (Cyclic vomiting syndrome) which is related to functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorder that causes sudden, repeated attacks of severe nausea and vomiting. Even 70% to 80% of women go through Nausea and Vomiting in her Pregnancy cycle. But, besides all this, if it doesn’t occur frequently you can easily treat it and even avoid it using some common household items. So’ here we are with Effective Home Remedies for Nausea.
Ginger is known to be the most popular home remedy for Nausea. Ginger has anti-nausea compounds which suppress nausea. It is also known to give relief to patients undergoing chemotherapy treatment. All you need is 0.5 to 1.5 grams of ginger a day to treat Nausea at home.
Peppermint is also known to cure nausea. Even smelling it can effectively lower the effects of nausea, which is known as Peppermint Aromatherapy. Other forms of peppermint can also cure nausea, which includes peppermint tea, peppermint oil in capsules and also the inhalers.
Acupuncture and Acupressure are also known to be very effective to cure nausea. You can do it by your own simply by pressing your thumb 2–3 finger distance down from your inner wrist as you can see in the above image
Smelling a slice of lemon or any other citrus fruit can help to cure nausea. Slicing of lemon produces essential oils in the air and it becomes really an effective home remedy for nausea.
This is rather simple cure for nausea, all you have to do is to control your breathing. You can do it just by taking slow, deep breaths.
Spices like Fennel powder, Cinnamon and Cumin extract can also prove to be effective home remedies in the treatment of nausea. All of them can give relief from stomachache and also treat nausea as well.
Relaxing your muscles can also treat nausea. You follow a method called progressive muscle relaxation (PMR). In PMR a person continuously contracts and relax muscles in a certain order. You can know more about on the internet.
Tips to avoid Nausea:-
Alongside these remedies you can avoid nausea by following the tips mentioned below:
- Avoid spicy or fatty foods: As mentioned earlier spicy and fatty food can upset your stomach and hence can cause nausea too. So they are needed to be avoided.
- Add protein to your meals: Protein-rich food such as boiled chicken and eggs are always better than fatty and carbohydrate-rich food. They can also cure nausea too.
- Avoid large meals: Nausea can also be avoided by splitting your meals into smaller parts. You can take six small meals in a day rather than three large meals. This enables better digestion and thus help in avoiding nausea too.
- Stay upright after you eat: You have probably heard it a thousand times. You should not lie down immediately after consuming a meal, this makes digestion slow and thus cause nausea. All you need to stay upright till 30 minutes from your meal.
- Avoid drinking with meals: You should not consume liquids with your meals, as they make your food wet and it gets bloated in the stomach and thus results in nausea.
- Stay hydrated: Dehydration can make nausea even worse. Hence one should stay hydrated throughout the day to avoid nausea. You can use electrolyte-rich fluids to avoid nausea.
- Avoid strong smells: Strong smells generate a sensation of vomiting and it can increase nausea by a large extent.
- Avoid iron supplements: If you have a normal iron level you should not take iron supplements because it can cause nausea, especially in case of pregnant women.
- Exercise: If you keep your body in motion by yoga or workout, your food will be digested efficiently and thus nausea will be avoided.
Here is the list of food items you should avoid or take at the time of nausea.
Things to avoid: Fatty and spicy food must be avoided and overeating any type of food can cause nausea. So overeating must be avoided. Furthermore, you should avoid cereal, crackers, toast, and gelatin.
Nausea can easily be treated by using the above mentioned home remedies. However, if you are facing it frequently we always recommend consulting your doctor. Nausea accompanied by chest pain, an intense headache, jaw pain, sweating, or pain in your left arm is a symptom of a heart attack. In that case, you should consult your doctor immediately before it gets worse. Furthermore, if nausea is combined with headache, stiff neck, and difficulty in breathing then it could be a sign that you have consumed something poisonous or something you are allergic to. This is surely a case of emergency.
However, if nausea doesn’t occur frequently or isn’t accompanied by the aforementioned symptoms then you can use any above-mentioned home remedy to treat nausea. You can avoid nausea before it catches you by avoiding heat and humidity, sea voyages and strong odors.
We at Effective Home Remedy provide all our visitors a platform to maintain an accurate lifestyle, boost resistance and at last combat nearly all common illness by providing precise home remedies and recommendations. Our main motto is to give visitors in-depth awareness of the common illness, and ways to prevent and treat these illnesses by adapting some proven remedies from the comfort of their home.Learn more
* You will receive the latest news and updates on health tips to fight against diseases that are distressing our daily life.