In Ayurveda one of the interesting pathology related to ear is collectively called as ‘Tinnitus’ or karnada and/or karnshweda which is referred to as ‘ringing’ sound in the ear(s) in absence of external stimuli and is caused as a result of disturbance in Vata dosha, primarily of Prana Vayu ,as a result, although there is no pain but still the person suffers from symptoms like concentration problems, anxiety, loss of sleep, frustration, irritability, depression and usual tinnitus is not as a disease but a symptom of an underlying disease [unless proved otherwise], and because there is a very fine line of demarcation between the two definitions it does require the general Physician or preferably a Shalakya [ENT] expert to know the difference between the two entities:
- Whereas karnada is purely a Vataj disorder, karnshweda occurs as a result of vitiation of all the three doshas in the body.
- In karnnada person hears different high pitched loud sound whereas in karnshweda person hears single low pitched fine sound.
- Treatment of karnada is purely pacification of Vata dosha whereas treatment of Karnada is to pacify all the three Dosha.
- Karnada is due to pathology in conductive mechanism [conductive deafness] whereas karnshweda is due to pathology in the sensorineural pathway [SN deafness].
- Karnada could be due to local otologic reason [mainly of external/middle ear], karnshweda is due to internal ear pathology.
- type of deafness can be confirmed by tuning fork test or Audiometry only since treatment is the same for both types.
- One has to exclude systemic disease also like high blood pressure, diabetes, low haemoglobin, heart disease as the cause of tinnitus or ringing in the ear and then manage accordingly.
- Ear and/or sinus infection.
- Cardiovascular diseases.
- Pathology of vestibular, facial or auditory nerves.
- Temporomandibular [TMJ] joint pathology.
- Head/neck trauma
- Certain medications.
Pathya [wholesome diet]: use of ghee, meat soup, Vata pacifying diet, warm food, sweet-salt-sour tastes, warm water/drinks, nuts, cinnamon, cumin seeds, ginger, clove, fenugreek, chamomile tea, nasya [errhine therapy], massage, karnpooran, gargles or oil pulling with medicated oils, observe silence for few hours, excess physical/metal exertion, use of herbs like Ashwagandha, jatamansi, yashtimadhu, mandukparni, sariva, bala, amalaki, sesame- mahanarayan-dashmool -bilva-kshar oil, vrihat Vata chintamani ras, sarsvati churna, Pranayam & meditation, Panchakarma procedures after taking into account the strength, age and disease of the individual like therapeutic emesis, purgation, enema.
Apathya [unwholesome diet]: caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, addiction for any substance abuse, garlic, onion, potato, cauliflower, brinjal, red lentils, excessive talking, overindulgence in sexual contact, physical exertion, head bath, suppression of natural urges, excess use of mobiles- television- computers and exposure to loud noises at work or occupation, such as music, speakers, traffic, dentistry, musicians and sound technicians.
Take Atis [sugar apple] +hing [ asafetida] +saunf [ fennel seeds] +dalchini [cinnamon] +sarjikshar [ mixture of potassium salts] +kali mirch [ black pepper] each 12-12 gm, Sirka (vinegar): 380gm, til (sesame) oil 360gm and after making it with due care, you can use it as ear drops [karan pooran] in both ears or simply buy ‘bilva tail’ from market].
Putting drops of jaitun tail [olive oil] along with equal parts honey in ears [lukewarm] is effective for tinnitus, hearing loss.
If tinnitus is because of some neural disability then use ‘badam Rogan’ oil, if because of dryness then use of pumpkin seed oil is beneficial and if because of worms [of any kind] use camphor.
Use of 2-3 drops of lukewarm almond oil in the ear helps in relieving tinnitus occurring at work.
Garlic 2 pieces, bitter almond oil 25 gm: mix them and cook on flame, when garlic turns black, pull it out and sieve the mixture and put securely in a bottle, putting 2-3 drops as lukewarm in the ear helps in tinnitus associated complications.
Extract juice of onion after heating it, and when the juice is expressed again warm the juice and put the drops in ears.
Mix honey in neem oil and make the cotton wig and put in the oil and using it as a cotton plug or putting 2-2 drops twice daily is also helpful and beneficial.
Putting cinnamon oil in ears helps in alleviating symptoms caused by high pitched sounds.
Take borax and put in the ear in a dose of approximately 2 grain and thereafter pour 5-6 drops of lemon juice, this will result in the expulsion of wax from the ear, and the person will be immensely helped if this is the cause of tinnitus.
1. Sarivadi vati: 1 tablet twice daily with milk [after meals].
2. Use of Patoladi Ghrita: 12gm with warm water or warm milk [empty stomach] in the morning.
3. Karn Bindu ear drops 2-4 drops in each ear every 4 hours with simultaneous use of antioxidants. ] vitamin A, B, C, E.
4. Vrihat Vaat Chintamani ras: 1 tablet thrice a day with honey is very effective medicine acting as Immunomodulator.
5. Tablet Mentat: 2 tablets at bedtime for mind relaxation.
6. Indu Vati with Amla juice is a very popular medicine for the same.
7. Bilwa-apamarg-deepika-nirgundi-narayan-vishnu oil is some of the medicated oils which one can safely use.
- Churan or powder form is best if taking Yashtimadhu [with milk] twice daily.
- Svaras or liquid form is best if taking Mandukparni [with honey] twice daily.
- Avleha or jelly form is best if taking Ashwagandha [with milk] twice daily.
You Might Be Interested In: 5 Yoga Exercises For Weight Loss.
Latest posts by Dr Munish Sood (see all)
- Effective Ayurvedic Management of Bad Breath In Ayurveda - April 21, 2019
- Effective Home Remedies For Tinnitus IN Ayurveda - April 21, 2019
- 10 Effective Home Remedies to Gain Weight | Ayurvedic Treatment - April 20, 2019
Dr Munish Sood
We at Effective Home Remedy provide all our visitors a platform to maintain an accurate lifestyle, boost resistance and at last combat nearly all common illness by providing precise home remedies and recommendations. Our main motto is to give visitors in-depth awareness of the common illness, and ways to prevent and treat these illnesses by adapting some proven remedies from the comfort of their home.Learn more
* You will receive the latest news and updates on health tips to fight against diseases that are distressing our daily life.